An update on what I’m doing this summer
This is the first summer I have had holidays for a long while.
Last year (2017) I was finishing off my Master’s, all the way until I started teaching. The year before that (2016) I was working on my Master’s and preparing to start teaching at Uxbridge College. The year before that (2015) I had left a job that was killing me and was freelance for the first time, seeing first-hand the stress of applying for work as a full-time job. I also started my Master’s then. The years before that (2014, 2013, 2012) I was a workaholic, working as a Registrar and making movies.
So, here’s what I’m doing this summer.
- Preparing for the next academic year: writing assignments, schemes of work and lesson plans;
- Promoting our Raindance HND programme and our two new programmes;
- Promoting and preparing for the October Action On The Side project;
- Getting some paid film work: I’ve been applying for sound recording, AD, and writing roles.
- I’m 1st AD’ing a short film called Lycanthropy. Looking forward to shooting that on September 1st, 28th, 29th, 30th
- I’m editing a short film called Bitches
- Developing a few film ideas;
and, of course, doing some relaxing.
I hear that’s nice.
I thought, why don’t I make a video with my achievements for 2013. Then I could share it with my friends online. It could be a new tradition.
Then I realised I don’t have enough time!
So, here is the new tradition. The reflection on a year gone by.
- Co-Produced and 1st ADd two films with Shiftwork Productions which were shot in December but completed in 2013 (‘Now Wash Your Hands’, ‘Don’t Do It’)
- 1st ADd & Co-Produced ‘The P.A.’ with This Big Productions
- Started Production Managing/1st ADing/Co-Producing ‘All I Do Is Dream’
- Had four films entered in the Virgin Media Shorts Competition (‘The P.A.’, ‘Now Wash Your Hands’, ‘Don’t Do It’, ‘Tragedia’)
- Screened ‘Tragedia’ at Whirlygig Cinema’s Making Tracks (My first Q+A)
- Screened ‘Tragedia’ at KinoLondon #57
- Had a second interview with Adelaide Screenwriter published online
- Co-Produced / 1st ADd ‘The Estate Agent’ with Shiftwork Productions
- Produced and Directed ‘Dead Letter’ with Shiftwork Productions
- DPd ‘The Meeting Place’
- DPd my first feature film. Got fired from the same feature film. Learnt a lot from the experience, including who not to work with, research who you’re working with, and don’t assume that people who are making a feature have gained experience from shorts or other projects.
- ‘Copper’ completed with an update. ‘A Party For Me’ is very very close to completion. Starting entering these into festivals.
- Took part in the inaugural Action On The Side in July 2013. Produced ‘Elle Fatale’.
- Started helping James to run Action On The Side. Helped run Action On The Side in November 2013. Produced and wrote ‘WhosApp’; 1st AD’d & Co-Produced ‘Facetracker’.
- Production Managed and 1st AD’d (pick-ups) of ‘NightStrike’ with This Big Pictures
- Worked on the London Film London Calling application for ‘
- Attended the BAFTA New Filmmakers Market and the Screen Film Summit.
- Attended networking events and met loads of filmmakers.
- Started teaching (see Career below)
- Performed with the Arab Quarterly at the Hoxton Hall (London Belly Dance Debut)
- Took Teachers Training Workshops and Dance Performance workshops with Elis Pinheiro
- Took weekly classes with Farah Nasri
- Performed with Farah’s class at the Bellydance Trophies
- Joined and performed with the London Algerian Ballet
- Completed a Performance Development Course with Ozgen
- Took numerous workshops and attended numerous performances
- Went to the Global Powwow in Dubai
- Attended the CAMS Conference in St Louis
- Filmed a friend’s wedding in Bristol
- Returned to New Zealand for a week. Sorted things out at the house and with films; caught up with friends and family.
- Spent Christmas with friends in Inverness
- Attended the Global Powwow in Dubai and the CAMS Conference in St Louis
- Scheduled the entire 2013-14 Academic Calendar before registration for FA2013
- Promoted to Registrar of the Undergraduate Program
- Got a new Assistant Registrar
- Successfully implemented Online Registration for FA2013 (200+ students in September, 700+ students in November/December). Included running training sessions for students and staff, my team creating statuses and uploading worksheets for all 700+ students.
- Started teaching: taught one Independent Study on Film Production Assisting and one Independent Study on Scriptwriting.
- Hired to teach a course on Practical Film Producing in Winter.
So often on social media, we all promote our best times and fail to mention our worst. From the outside, our lives are awesome. But some people had a crappy 2013 and just want it to be over. I think it is important to reflect on the crappy as well. Our lives aren’t all perfect, and it is important to talk about the bad stuff too. So, a few of of the downers.
- Got fired from my first feature: this was a major learning experience. The Producer still owes me over £600 for the days I worked. Never trust people who want you to work without giving you a contract.
- I filmed too much stuff that I have not had the time to edit. I unfortunately still do not have the time to edit it, or the money to pay someone to edit it.
- I picked up too many projects: I hit my limit towards the end of the year, and have been declining projects until I finish a few.
- There are some people I will not be working with again or at least for a while.
- Didn’t get to see enough movies. Am especially gutted for not supporting the Independent Film Industry enough by seeing Indie Films at the cinema.
- I still haven’t worked out my work/life balance. I have had a few too many nights working till 8pm/9pm/10pm/11pm with the day job, due to short-staffing and over-work. I work long hours at the day job without a break, then do a dance class then a production meeting. The way I see it is I am building my careers.
- I spent too much time on tumblr and not enough time exercising. Man I wish I kept up doing yoga or pilates every morning.
- I ran late and took too long to do things too often.
Here’s what I’m looking forward to in 2014
- Teaching my Practical Film Producing course in WI2014. Producing a short alongside the course.
- Running Action On The Side (next edition in February)
- Performing at Arabesque Nights: Thursday 03 July for Strictly Egyptian and Thursday 04 September for Rock The Casbah
- Working on and finishing ‘All I Do Is Dream‘
- Submitting my films into Film Festivals – thereby increasing my IMDb page
- Attending a large film market
- More workshops, more dance, more film, more friends, more travel!
Wishing you the best for 2014!