I thought, why don’t I make a video with my achievements for 2013. Then I could share it with my friends online. It could be a new tradition.
Then I realised I don’t have enough time!
So, here is the new tradition. The reflection on a year gone by.
- Co-Produced and 1st ADd two films with Shiftwork Productions which were shot in December but completed in 2013 (‘Now Wash Your Hands’, ‘Don’t Do It’)
- 1st ADd & Co-Produced ‘The P.A.’ with This Big Productions
- Started Production Managing/1st ADing/Co-Producing ‘All I Do Is Dream’
- Had four films entered in the Virgin Media Shorts Competition (‘The P.A.’, ‘Now Wash Your Hands’, ‘Don’t Do It’, ‘Tragedia’)
- Screened ‘Tragedia’ at Whirlygig Cinema’s Making Tracks (My first Q+A)
- Screened ‘Tragedia’ at KinoLondon #57
- Had a second interview with Adelaide Screenwriter published online
- Co-Produced / 1st ADd ‘The Estate Agent’ with Shiftwork Productions
- Produced and Directed ‘Dead Letter’ with Shiftwork Productions
- DPd ‘The Meeting Place’
- DPd my first feature film. Got fired from the same feature film. Learnt a lot from the experience, including who not to work with, research who you’re working with, and don’t assume that people who are making a feature have gained experience from shorts or other projects.
- ‘Copper’ completed with an update. ‘A Party For Me’ is very very close to completion. Starting entering these into festivals.
- Took part in the inaugural Action On The Side in July 2013. Produced ‘Elle Fatale’.
- Started helping James to run Action On The Side. Helped run Action On The Side in November 2013. Produced and wrote ‘WhosApp’; 1st AD’d & Co-Produced ‘Facetracker’.
- Production Managed and 1st AD’d (pick-ups) of ‘NightStrike’ with This Big Pictures
- Worked on the London Film London Calling application for ‘
- Attended the BAFTA New Filmmakers Market and the Screen Film Summit.
- Attended networking events and met loads of filmmakers.
- Started teaching (see Career below)
- Performed with the Arab Quarterly at the Hoxton Hall (London Belly Dance Debut)
- Took Teachers Training Workshops and Dance Performance workshops with Elis Pinheiro
- Took weekly classes with Farah Nasri
- Performed with Farah’s class at the Bellydance Trophies
- Joined and performed with the London Algerian Ballet
- Completed a Performance Development Course with Ozgen
- Took numerous workshops and attended numerous performances
- Went to the Global Powwow in Dubai
- Attended the CAMS Conference in St Louis
- Filmed a friend’s wedding in Bristol
- Returned to New Zealand for a week. Sorted things out at the house and with films; caught up with friends and family.
- Spent Christmas with friends in Inverness
- Attended the Global Powwow in Dubai and the CAMS Conference in St Louis
- Scheduled the entire 2013-14 Academic Calendar before registration for FA2013
- Promoted to Registrar of the Undergraduate Program
- Got a new Assistant Registrar
- Successfully implemented Online Registration for FA2013 (200+ students in September, 700+ students in November/December). Included running training sessions for students and staff, my team creating statuses and uploading worksheets for all 700+ students.
- Started teaching: taught one Independent Study on Film Production Assisting and one Independent Study on Scriptwriting.
- Hired to teach a course on Practical Film Producing in Winter.
- Changed my url to phetherington.com
- Upped my usage of Twitter (https://twitter.com/phetheringtonnz) and Tumblr (http://phetheringtonnz.tumblr.com/)
So often on social media, we all promote our best times and fail to mention our worst. From the outside, our lives are awesome. But some people had a crappy 2013 and just want it to be over. I think it is important to reflect on the crappy as well. Our lives aren’t all perfect, and it is important to talk about the bad stuff too. So, a few of of the downers.
- Got fired from my first feature: this was a major learning experience. The Producer still owes me over £600 for the days I worked. Never trust people who want you to work without giving you a contract.
- I filmed too much stuff that I have not had the time to edit. I unfortunately still do not have the time to edit it, or the money to pay someone to edit it.
- I picked up too many projects: I hit my limit towards the end of the year, and have been declining projects until I finish a few.
- There are some people I will not be working with again or at least for a while.
- Didn’t get to see enough movies. Am especially gutted for not supporting the Independent Film Industry enough by seeing Indie Films at the cinema.
- I still haven’t worked out my work/life balance. I have had a few too many nights working till 8pm/9pm/10pm/11pm with the day job, due to short-staffing and over-work. I work long hours at the day job without a break, then do a dance class then a production meeting. The way I see it is I am building my careers.
- I spent too much time on tumblr and not enough time exercising. Man I wish I kept up doing yoga or pilates every morning.
- I ran late and took too long to do things too often.
Here’s what I’m looking forward to in 2014
- Teaching my Practical Film Producing course in WI2014. Producing a short alongside the course.
- Running Action On The Side (next edition in February)
- Performing at Arabesque Nights: Thursday 03 July for Strictly Egyptian and Thursday 04 September for Rock The Casbah
- Working on and finishing ‘All I Do Is Dream‘
- Submitting my films into Film Festivals – thereby increasing my IMDb page
- Attending a large film market
- More workshops, more dance, more film, more friends, more travel!
Wishing you the best for 2014!