I was listening to The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith podcast for The Artist, with writer-director Michel Hazanavicius. By the way, totally subscribe to the podcast in iTunes or listen to it from the Blogger website. There are some amazing Q&As there, and Goldsmith is a great interviewer.
In response to an audience question, Hazanavicius lists the silent films that influenced him for The Artist, or that he recommended to cast and crew. They are:
- Sunrise – dir F.W Murnau
- City Girl – dir. F.W. Murnau
- The River – dir. Frank Borzage
- 7th Heaven – dir. Frank Borzage
- Lonely Star – dir. Jacques De Baroncelli (I’m not sure if this is the correct link)
- The Crowd – dir. King Vidor
- Four Sons – dir. John Ford
- The Unknown – dir. Tod Browning
- The Docks of New York – dir. Joseph von Sternberg
- Underworld – dir. Joseph von Sternberg (aka Paying the Penalty)
- Spies – dir. Fritz Lang
- Show People – dir. King Vidor
So, I’m totally going to add these to my list of films to see.
Man, that list keeps getting longer and longer…